This exciting project brings people together to enjoy and benefit from the brooks around Alfreton, South Normanton and Huthwaite.
Over the years, towns and villages, former coal mines, industrial estates and major roads have all had an impact on these brooks. This project aims to reverse the impact of former coal mines, industrial estates and major roads on the brooks in these urban areas.
The River Starts Here! works with local communities to enable them to take action to make their brooks cleaner, more enjoyable and richer in wildlife.
So far the project has:
- Supported householders to create rain gardens
- Successfully conducted the country’s first ‘Outfall Safari’ outside London with local volunteers
- Held activity days along the brooks with business and community volunteers
- Only Rain Down the Drain’ awards for local businesses
- ‘Streams of Wool’ – a crafty event bringing people to the brooks to enjoy the environment and local creativity
'The River Starts here!’ Working with businesses for habitat and access along this brook in Huthwaite, thanks Mark&Co, Notts CC pic.twitter.com/SyzAyJ6ziQ
— Trent Rivers Trust (@Trent_R_Trust) November 9, 2016