Download the Trent Rivers Trust Annual Review
We are proud to showcase some of the many exciting projects we have delivered and developed in 2019. All have supported our vision for the River Trent and its tributaries to be rich in wildlife, habitats, landscape and historic features, now and in the future.
As we respond to the challenges of a changing climate, the work of The Trent Rivers Trust has never been more important.
The Annual Review for 2019 also sets out how our work contributes towards the UN Sustainable Development Goals. It explains how we will continue to protect and improve our rivers and natural environments – so communities can enjoy them now, and because our health and livelihoods depend on them.
Some highlights of 2019 – read more in the Annual Review:
- Three times as many businesses secured ‘River Friendly Business’ accreditation in 2019 than 2018, recognising their work to protect and improve their local brooks. Our scheme attracted international and national press acclaim for its impact and the businesses’ involvement.
- We worked with over 100 volunteers who delivered over 1500 volunteer hours, helping to make rivers, streams and brooks better for people and wildlife.
- Our team visited 125 farmers and landowners and had meaningful engagement with 201 additional farmers – showcasing ways to improve water and soil quality, and in many cases helping them to do so.
- We delivered the first stage of a Natural Flood Management (NFM) project installing 53 features over 21 locations upstream of the villages of Lowdham and Lambley, Nottinghamshire. The project received interest from local TV and press, Radio 4 Farming Today and was highlighted in Defra’s 25 year plan interim report.
- Planning and delivery of the biggest river restoration scheme in our history, on the Trent near Weston, Staffordshire and funded through an Enforcement Undertaking.
- We began a major water quality project for the River Mease, a designated Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and a Special Area of Conservation (SAC).